Re: Cache control in trailers?

On Wed, Feb 3, 2021, at 12:37, Mark Nottingham wrote:
> I think the use case is 'I want to convey a well-formed body that
> reflects the error state as best I can, and have the client show it to
> the user, but I changed my mind on the caching policy due to the
> aforementioned error.'

Why then would this be limited to caching policies?  That suggests you might have a different content-type then.  More seriously though, this suggests that you are reneging on the status code.

> Stream resets and tearing the connection down *might* work, but they're
> not great solutions, because they can also indicate other problems, and
> some clients might act differently.

I tend to think that this is an easier path to take than a retcon.  You are thinking caching, which is pretty serious, but I think that you are really talking about the status code here and for that I think that resetting streams (or connections) is the best we can reliably do.