Re: Priority signals in HTTP/2

I think this is a good start Martin, I'd like to see a PR based on this
approach and promise to review it.

To respond to Robin:

On Fri, Dec 18, 2020 at 10:12 AM Robin MARX <robin.marx@uhasselt.be> wrote:

> 5. I wonder if it's useful to recommend different default priorities here.
> In RFC 7540, the default is fully fair Round Robin, which has been shown to
> be one of the worst case scenarios for typical web page traffic.
>     A more sequential default would fit better in this case. For example,
> this could become "All streams are initially assigned an exclusive
> dependency on the currently active stream with the highest stream ID".
>     This is identical to the default behaviour in the new signaling system
> and conceptually similar to Chromium's setup.
>     I'm not sure this is really necessary, but if there's one thing I'd
> change about H2's setup, it's that.
>     It might be good to include this guidance for implementers who will
> start integrating the new signaling and want to minimally update existing
> code for clients that stick to the old system for the time being.

I appreciate the sentiment but I think this oversteps from "if you really
want to bang your head on the wall, go to the wall" to recommending a
slightly slightly less painful method of headbanging. We have a better
alternative scheme, let's incentivise that.

A server won't know if a client is omitting H2 priority because it
purposefully wants Round Robin scheduling. Its a stupid deault but its an
easy default. As I've just discovered, talking about H2 priorities wrt
streams and pushes is tricky. So I suggest we don't spend text on it in
this document.

Cheers
Lucas