Re: Priority implementation complexity (was: Re: Extensible Priorities and Reprioritization)

On Fri, Jun 19, 2020 at 2:44 PM Lucas Pardue <lucaspardue.24.7@gmail.com>
wrote:

> That's a fair opinion too. Have you any thoughts about server push
> reprioritization being a motivating factor for maintaining the feature?

The way I think of it is that reprioritzation can turn bad pushes into
neutral pushes, but it can't turn bad or neutral pushes into good pushes. I
validated the bad -> neutral hypothesis in a contrived / toy HTTP/2 sandbox
a few years ago. What's missing is a really convincing case where push is a
win (many good pushes). Despite a lot of looking, the only real-world case
I've found is that paper from Akamai a few years back.

I think my last email was too strong w.r.t. your above question. I don't
think we should decide the push question now and I don't think
reprioritzation alone is a motivating factor to maintain push. All I meant
to say is: I believe that reprioritization is helpful for push, assuming we
keep both.