Re: Priority implementation complexity (was: Re: Extensible Priorities and Reprioritization)

On Thu, Jun 11, 2020, at 17:51, Yoav Weiss wrote:
> If that's indeed the case, we shouldn't define reprioritization *at
> all*. Making it optional is a cop-out, which would result in
> inconsistencies, meaning clients can't rely on it and need to
> work-around its absence.

That is indeed what we are headed for.  But you can't levy a requirement on servers to implement something like this.  And even if they do, they won't all make the same decisions.

> We should decide if reprioritization is good or bad, based on as much
> data as we can pull, and make sure it's implemented only if we see
> benefits for it in some cases, and then make sure it's only used in
> those cases.

I would like the first part.  For the implementation piece, that depends on the strength of the arguments behind the first bit more than it does on our actions here.