Re: Extensible Priorities and Reprioritization

Hi all,

Reg: reprioritization benefit I can share some recent data for Chrome.  For
the two cases that are currently discussed I'm actually not fully sure
about its benefit.

For the renderer-triggered image reprioritization cases: this is a bit
interesting one, we recently found two things:
- Delaying to start low-prio requests could often work better (partly
because of server-side handling) than re-prioritizing while inflight
- In-lab measurements (tested with top 10k real sites, both on Mobile and
Desktop) showed that removing in-flight re-prioritization doesn't impact
page load performance a lot

I suspect this is maybe because server-side handling is not always perfect
and most of requests on the web are short-lived, and this may not be true
for the cases where long-running requests matter.  I don't have data for
whether may impact background / foreground cases (e.g. Chrome tries to
lower priorities when tabs become background)

For download cases, Chrome always starts a new download with a low priority
(even if it has started as a navigation), so reprioritization doesn't
happen.

Kinuko