Re: Robert Wilton's No Objection on draft-ietf-httpbis-header-structure-18: (with COMMENT)

On 22.05.2020 03:10, Mark Nottingham wrote:

>>> They're all allowed in the serialisation, but aren't necessarily distinct
>>> in the data model. Do you (and others) think it's worth mentioning here?
>> [RW]
>>
>> I would.  There doesn't seem to be downside to being explicit that they are allowed, even if not recommended.
>
> See:
>    https://github.com/httpwg/http-extensions/commit/9e2bb280faa05
>
> Thanks again,

Hm.

I'm a bit confused, as the spec in other cases tries to be as strict as
possible for serialization.

Is there a reason why we don't just disallow leading 0s, or trailing 0s
after the decimal point? In particular in the case of Decimals, some
implementations preserving "precision" and others not doing so could be
problematic.

Best regards, Julian