Re: Variants and Client Hints

In Variants, the definition of a particular content negotiation mechanism is responsible for defining the algorithm for selecting a result (or results); see <https://httpwg.org/http-extensions/draft-ietf-httpbis-variants.html#define>. Defering to the implementers would mean that each cache would behave differently, so no interop and content folks would be (justifiably) grumpy about this.

--
Mark Nottingham   https://www.mnot.net/