Re: New Version Notification for draft-mcmanus-httpbis-h2-websockets-02.txt

On 21 November 2017 at 04:20, Patrick McManus <mcmanus@ducksong.com> wrote:

> the client needs to wait because the draft changes the definition of
> CONNECT.. you can't use the new definition against a server that hasn't
> opted into it. Note that there is no technical requirement on the server
> for a settings ack - the requirement is on when the client can send the
> request. This might be 0.5 rtt or not, depending on the style of handshake.
> It is the annoying part here driven by the simplicity of the design. I
> think that's the right choice.

I'm concerned about this "wait an arbitrary amount of time before falling
back" semantic. When we first implement it I expect to be falling back
almost all of the time. In fact, most developers would probably have a
better experience if we never attempted h2 at all. We could race an h2
connection with an h1 connection but that seems suboptimal.