Re: Precision of numbers using JSON Header Field Values

--------
In message <ce027f55-07bd-aa69-31ef-a05cfa5e5c8a@gmx.de>, Julian Reschke writes
:
>On 2016-07-18 14:23, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
>> --------
>> In message <20160718121443.GA26998@1wt.eu>, Willy Tarreau writes:
>>
>>> I'd strongly prefer an efficient binary encoding that would pass well over
>>> H2 / H3 whatever, but still we know that H1 will exist for many years,
>>> that applications deal with headers as text and we'll need a text-based
>>> representation at some points along the chain.
>>
>> I 100% agree and that is why I think our focus should be on finding
>> the binary encoding.
>>
>> We have well proven methods for turning binary into ascii, but the
>> other way becomes a nightmare every single time.
>
>That's a fine thing to do, but how would it help for HTTP/2?

We left a lot of low hanging fruit on the tree with HPACK, notably
the Date header.

If we decide to do structured headers, they might be another good
reason for HPACK2, which could then know about these fields and
do the smart thing.