Re: Post before acking settings?

On 28/04/2016 2:34 a.m., Martin Thomson wrote:
> On 28 April 2016 at 00:04, Patrick McManus wrote:
>> arms race opportunity! Why wait for the SETTINGS to ack it? :)
>

> Careful!  Or h3 will have a nonce that you have to echo. ;)

Actually on that line of thought ....

  while I was working on implementing SETTINGS in Squid I ran into a bit
of trouble. The SETTINGS can be sent multiple times with different
values. This ACK in its current form makes HTTP/2 fully reliant on the
reliability of the transport to maintain sync and a 1:1 full RTT for
each SETTINGS frame used.
 It would actually be a bit more optimal to aggregate multiple SETTINGS
and send back in the ACK a copy of the last values being ACK'd so the
sender can know what state the other end is up to receiving. (eg. TCP
seqno ACK).

I hope to experiment with that a little more for between-proxy
connections in Squid after we get h2/h2c implementation actually
finished and rolled out.

Amos