Re: h2 header field names

--------
In message <op.xlnzkicoiw9drz@riaa>, "Martin Nilsson" writes:

>I want to be able to send binary header values as soon as possible, to get
>rid of all layers of base-n encoding. The names makes perfect sense as
>ASCII only.

I'm not at all warm on unrestricted binary, it invites too much trouble.

I'm also not convinced there is a real upside:  Binary data in this
context usually means cryptographic output which again means
uncompressable.

Also the current HPACK huffman code doesn't do too badly on base64.

I did some experiments with an "algorithmic sub-mode" to HPACK which
spotted BASE64 and encoded it as a binary length + string, but the gains
over the huffman were very slight and certainly not worth the complexity.