Re: Negotiating compression

On 31/05/2014 6:04 a.m., Roberto Peon wrote:
> The huffman design (using canonical huffman) was chosen such that replacing
> the table would be cheap (as transmitted on the wire), if, in the
> far-future it is needed to change tables, it will be cheap/possible.
> That is something to play around with, but not something that I'd guess
> would fit in the protocol today, as it has uncertain security ramifications.

As a result we need a halfway operation to prevent the existing huffman
table being used. The best proposal for that so far is the
disable-huffman SETTING. Which downgrades it from the existing table to
none rather that changing to an arbitrary alternative table.

The simplicity gained for naive implementations is an added bonus.

Amo