Re: Applicability of new status code "4xx Credentials expired"?

Hi Jan, all,

I would be inclined to leave the status code as 401, and provide details of why authentication has failed as a separate header. This may involve having a heading such as "X-WWW-Authenticate-Error: credentials-expired" if nothing else fits better (I can't think of a better fit off the top of my head). This may also be useful in cases such as problems communicating with an upstream authentication system.

I should emphasise suggestion of an X- heading is just as a temporary work-around, if the idea works well there should be consideration of making it a standard header.

Ross