Re: Re[2]: HTTP2 Expression of Interest : Squid

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 4:42 AM, Adrien de Croy <adrien@qbik.com> wrote:

> Hi Mike
>
> there must be some sort of context associated between the client and the
> server for the push, otherwise what is the server pushing at?

Correct; in the spdy protocol this is the associated stream id.  Further,
the scope and lifetime of the associated stream id is carefully crafted so
that they are finite - you can't keep pushing additional associated
resources after you've finished the primary resource.

> This context would be established first by some request?  E.g.

Shouldn't the client request server push, and transmit a context that the
> server can use to associate the many responses.

Yes, it does.  When I fetch http://www.microsoft.com/ I'm setting up the
context, and www.microsoft.com may optionally decide to associate
'style.css' into that context.

> That then also allows an intermediary to track what is going on (e.g.
> demux on a shared connection), and allows the client to decide whether
> server push happens or not.

I strongly advise against client-side push enabling.  We've seen that movie
before, such as when the client decides whether or not the server can
compress or when the client decides whether or not the server can use
pipelining.  Making it a client decision kills the feature entirely.  We
need to either support push or not support it.  But seriously, who are
these clients which will reject the pushes?  You can't push random data.
 You can only push in-domain data.  If the browser doesn't need it, you
only hurt yourself.  Seriously, why would any browser block the push?

Mike