Re: HTTP -> Messages -> Transport factoring

On 05/04/2012, at 11:55 AM, Mike Belshe wrote:

>> In other words, the least-common-denominator sucks....

You don't have to resort to l-c-d in order to make your protocol
non-hostile to other transports.

In many ways TCP, certainly compared to many other contenders at
the time of distinction, _is_ l-c-d:  Just a byte stream.

I think we can take it as a given that HTTP over UDP will exist pretty
soon:  Between a surrogate like Varnish or HA-Proxy and the http-server
in the same rack, it would cut a fair bit time of transactions and
a lot of objects fit perfectly well inside a 64Kb UDP packet.

>> Mark Nottingham writes:

>Right. I can see accommodating the potential for these things by putting
>a bit of thought into how our specs are factored, but am *not*
>suggesting that we require an existence proof, or spend significant time
>assuring that they're possible.

seconded.