Re: #312: should there be a permanent variant of 307?

On 29/10/2011, at 2:35 AM, Yves Lafon wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Oct 2011, Julian Reschke wrote:
>
>> <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/ticket/312>
>>
>> So now that we have allowed UAs to rewrite a 301 POST to GET (see <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/ticket/160>), the spec doesn't have a permanent redirect that always preserves the method.
>>
>> (We *do* have the equivalent for temporary redirects: 307).
>>
>> So...:
>>
>> 1) Is this a problem?
>
> First thing is... was 301 ever used to change entries in a bookmark or a link in a page? If not, then it's not a problem worth adding a new status code.

+1

> A 307 with a long enough cache time should be enough to redirect people.
> If it is, then 2a would be the best option (in another doc)

But then you have a deployment problem; it won't be backwards-compatible with most existing browsers (i.e., the redirect won't work), so it'll never get out there.

AFAICT the only way to deploy would be to mint a new CC directive that means "forever" -- and we've already discussed that and decided not to go that way, IIRC.

My personal .02 - I think this is close with no action, or at most a bit of prose in 307.

Cheers,

>> 2) If yes, how can we fix it?
>>
>> 2a) Define a new code (in a separate spec)?
>>
>> 2b) Explain that a 307 can be made permanent by adding Cache-Control magic.
>>
>> My 17 cents:
>>
>> 2a) This might be hard to deploy, but maybe that's not a problem for those applications that want to use it. If we do that, it needs a separate spec (or it could go into Mark's new-status-codes thingy).
>>
>> 2b) This probably could be smuggled into HTTPbis, but in this case I'd *really* like to see us adding a concrete example.
>>
>> Best regards, Julian
>>

> --
> Baroula que barouleras, au tiéu toujou t'entourneras.
>
>        ~~Yves

Mark Nottingham
http://www.mnot.net/