Re: I-D Action:draft-ietf-httpbis-content-disp-00.txt

Hi,

the draft below is essentially identical with
draft-reschke-rfc2183-in-http-03
(<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-reschke-rfc2183-in-http-03.html>),
except for a boilerplate change with respect to the changed status (such
as the issue tracker URI).

I think this draft can go to WG LC soon. In the meantime I'm looking for
feedback specifically on:

1) Section 3.3, Security Considerations
(<http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-httpbis-content-disp-00#section-3.3>):
I'm sure more can be added.

2) Section 3.5, Extensibility
(<http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-httpbis-content-disp-00#section-3.5>):
the original MIME spec for Content-Disposition defines a registry for
values and parameters, which has been used in other protocols as well. I
*think* the registry procedure should be updated to clarify this, but
this seems to be a job for a future RFC2183bis.

3) Appendix C.4, Implementations
(<http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-httpbis-content-disp-00#appendix-C.4>):
this reports on the behavior of existing implementations; at some point
we'll need to make a conscious decision about whether this should go
into the final spec.

UA implementers:
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-httpbis-content-disp-00#section-3.3>
proposes:

    "filename" and "filename*" behave the same, except that "filename*"
    uses the encoding defined in [RFC5987], allowing the use of
    characters not present in the ISO-8859-1 character set
    ([ISO-8859-1]).  When both "filename" and "filename*" are present, a
    recipient SHOULD pick "filename*" and ignore "filename" - this will
    make it possible to send the same header value to clients that do not
    support "filename*".

Unfortunately, UAs are very shaky here, so they'll need fixes to make
this possible. See <http://greenbytes.de/tech/tc2231/#attfnboth>:

- FF3 and Opera pick "filename" over "filename*" (Konqueror gets this right)

and <http://greenbytes.de/tech/tc2231/#attfnboth2>:

- MSIE8 and Chrome fail to pick "filename", apparently being confused by
"filename*".

For all of these, I have reported the bugs already (the ones with public
bug trackers have the issue links in the test document).

Best regards, Julian