Re: iPhone streaming Internet-Draft posted

Two more questions:

1) Can you speak to why you chose to do this by extending m3u, rather
than using HTTP's built-in partial content mechanism (ranges)?

While you'd need to specify some metadata (e.g., headers to describe
where alternate encodings/bitrates can be found), this would be easy
to do, and would have the advantage of not requiring the server to
split up the file into multiple chunks at different URIs (an
administration and operations headache).

The analogy that comes immediately to mind is PDFs; the approach
you're taking is roughly equivalent to Adobe saying that PDF files
should be split into a URI-per-page and then putting an index file on
the site to link to each page.

2) Apple has disclosed IPR <https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/1142/>
for this draft.

My layman's reading is that anyone who wants to host a stream using
this technique requires a written license from you, including the
possibility of paying a fee, once your patents are granted.

Is there anything else we should know about this? As it is, (and only
speaking as an implementer), this just gives me more motivation to use
other techniques.

Cheers,