Re: Is OPTIONS Safe?

ons 2009-06-03 klockan 07:28 +0200 skrev Julian Reschke:
> Mark Nottingham wrote:
> > Yes, that's what I'm suggesting.
> >
> > Cheers,
>
> We already state that in Part 2, Section 10.1, but that is only the IANA
> registration
> (<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-ietf-httpbis-p2-semantics-06.html#rfc.section.10.1>)...
>
> So yes, the method description should state that as well.
>
> What about TRACE then (which is the 4th candidate)?

+1

All methods which should not have any noticeable side effects is safe.

TRACE by definition never should have side effects, nor should OPTIONS.

GET/HEAD should not have side effects, but often have anyway, but that's
besides the point. A server which barfs in some way if it gets the exact
same GET/HEAD request twice is technically not HTTP compliant, but in
reality nobody is going to care much about that.

Regards
Henrik