Re: Content Sniffing impact on HTTPbis - #155

On 14/06/2009, at 9:48 AM, Ian Hickson wrote:

> On Sun, 14 Jun 2009, Mark Nottingham wrote:
>>
>> IME this distinction is critical and not making it causes all sorts
>> of
>> problems.
>
> Like what?

Confusion, of course. Changing the terminology of the Web fifteen
years after it was established will only add to that.

> Are you seriously suggesting that you want to re-defined "resource"
>> across the scope of the Web -- both in the W3C and IETF?
>
> I'm claiming that the term "resource" already means "bag of bits"
> and that
> it is only within the context of the URI specs and the HTTP specs that
> anyone claims otherwise, and that these claims are based on a
> distinction
> that is purely theoretical and doesn't actually affect deployed
> content,
> or users, except for confusing them.

You're wrong, and in terms of the Web, HTTP and URI are two out of
three -- you're outnumbered as well.

> (Can you get any Web designer to
> correctly explain the difference between the terms resource
> identifier,
> resource, and resource representation as you use them?)

Do you think they'll actually be reading these documents?