Re: Content Sniffing impact on HTTPbis - #155

Mark Nottingham wrote:
>> How about:
>>
>> "Any HTTP/1.1 message containing an entity-body SHOULD include a
>> Content-Type header field defining the media type of that body, unless
>> that information is unknown."
>
> I read that as effectively equivalent to the current text, but sure; it
> is more explicit about when the SHOULD can be violated.

I'm pretty sensitive to this kind of SHOULD requirements, because of all
the crap I've seen servers putting into WebDAV metadata, because the
implementors thought they had to (like providing content language info
defaulting to the server's locale, or time stamps defaulting to Jan 01,
1970).

BR, Julian