Re: NEW ISSUE: content sniffing

2009/4/1 Mark Baker <mark@coactus.com>:
> On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 12:20 PM, Adam Barth <w3c@adambarth.com> wrote:
>> From http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec7.html#sec7.2.1
>>
>> "If and only if the media type is not given by a Content-Type field,
>> the recipient MAY attempt to guess the media type via inspection of
>> its content and/or the name extension(s) of the URI used to identify
>> the resource."
>
> Thanks.  I would be happy to remove that text, not to encourage
> sniffing, but because it has nothing to do with the HTTP protocol.

That about the sentence below?

"Content-Type specifies the media type of the underlying data."

Are you suggesting we remove Section 7.2.1 entirely and replacing it
with another document that specifies how to determine the data type of
an HTTP response?  We could use draft-abarth-mime-sniff for this
purpose (suitably altered to allow for the possibility of not
sniffing).

Adam