Re: Reducing HTTP payload size [was: RE: HTTP idea

tor 2007-01-11 klockan 18:30 -0800 skrev David Morris:

> Hard to generalize from extensive case by case examination, but Google is
> the only site I've observed which uses gzip. Over the past several years
> I've spent a lot of time measuring page load timing for  well and not so
> well known sites and not observed use of gzip.

google is far from alone in using gzip.

dynamic "content-encoding: gzip" appears to be spreading quite rapidly
over the Internet, largely because it's trivial to configure in most web
servers these days.

I don't have any readily available statistics, but it looks like it's a
fairly significant percentage of the web sites using this today.

Now if they only did it correctly and not as if "content-encoding" was
"transfer-encoding". But we already been in that discussion.. but on the
good side at least some vendors start to recognize that on-the-fly gzip
is really best done as transfer-encoding and not content-encoding..

But related to this discussion I expect to have quite interesting
statistics wrt HTTP header compression in a few weeks. I'll take a note
to return with this data.

Regards
Henrik