Re: allowed arguments to :not()

L. David Baron wrote:
> On Sunday 2006-08-20 12:39 +1000, Lachlan Hunt wrote:
>> :not() can only contain a simple selector.  In other words, it cannot
>> contain any combinators.
>>
>> e.g.  These are valid:
>>   :not(foo)
>>   :not(foo[bar])
>>   :not(foo:hover)
>
> Actually, only the first is valid.  (The definition of "simple selector"
> changed between CSS2 and css3-selectors.)

Do'h!  I was aware that the terminology had changed, but I still get
confused about it.

Dave Hyatt wrote:
> I never understood this restriction either.

Neither do I, it seems to just make it more difficult to use.  Although,
the restricted syntax doesn't really prevent anything, it just makes it
a little more complicated.

e.g. :not(foo[bar]) could be written as :not(foo):not([bar]), but that's
not very intuitive for authors.

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/