Re: Additional security and privacy considerations?

Dear Doug,

I'm very sorry if my message could feel condescending. It was not
intended to sound that way. I stand fully behind Thomas' aim to
require user consent before sending location information and also to
have some indication that the location API is active and sending
information to third parties.

In a car you also have a dashboard where important things are shown
(e.g. oil pressure). As I said: location information is _very_
sensitive data. It therefore merits a place on the dashboard. And this
assertion is not general at all IMHO.

Concerning what I mean with hooks: As far as I understand (I'm not an
engineer or developer), an API provides an interface for applications
on the one side and the location data services on the other side. But
this means that only a subset of the possible functionality of the
location backend used is exposed to the application and vice-versa.

What I want (and what has to be confirmed with Thomas) is, that the
API contains the necessary functionality to switch location services
off and also to allow an application a query whether the location
services are really off. It should provide a certain signal (yes
that's a very generic wording) that the application can recognize that
the location services are active and on. The presence of this signal
would make it easy for applications to show whether location
information is disclosed (dashboard). It should also provide an easy
call to the API to switch the location service off.

From a programmer's perspective this may sound like a layman's
opinion, but it contains the major requirements from a privacy
perspective. Data protection is there to empower the user to determine
himself which personal data he wants to disclose. If it is not easy to
switch the location service off or if there is no awareness of it
being on, this means a plain collision with the goals of modern
privacy protection. As we are confronted with a _very_ sensitive area
of data processing, the risk for disaster is also _very_ high.

E.g. there are already requirements in Directive 2002/58EC [1] (see
e.g. whereas 24, wheres 32&35 calls for fully informing the user)
especially in Article 9 of the Directive. I don't mean here to require
all what is written in the Directive. I just hint to the background
and that we have to deal with privacy. It is better we do that here
than leave it to possibly fragmenting regulations from all kinds of
places.

I hope this is less condescending and general. Again sorry.

1.http://tinyurl.com/2gvjus

Best,

Rigo