Re: Intended usage notification

On Apr 8, 2009, at 6:22 AM, Henning Schulzrinne wrote:

> I also agree that more information is better.

more truthful information is better, but since people will lie or
won't be very accurate, and the UAs cant validate, this "more
information" is actually putting the user at risk.

I worry about logic like:

Ah "maps.google.com" always asks me for my location for "placing my
location on a map", and I see that same thing on "evil.com", so I must
be safe.

> In the end, we cannot force services to offer meaningful
> information, so if this is truly useless, we're no worse off

Again, we are worse off -- we are having the browser (something
completely trusted by the user), present text which can clearly lie.

Because of these issues, UAs are bot going to want to implement this.
Furthermore, websites can already present content that explains why
they need to get the location from the user.

Doug Turner
Mozilla