ipd/bpd percentage base

From: Victor Mote <vic@outfitr.com>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 15:49:49 -0600
To: "XSL Editors" <xsl-editors@w3.org>

Dear Editors:

I am seeking clarification of the XSL-FO 1.1 Recommendation at Sections
7.15.3 (block-progression-dimension) and 7.15.7
(inline-progression-dimension), for the <percentage> calculation. In both
cases, the percentage base is described as "the corresponding dimension of
the closest area ancestor that was generated by a block-level formatting
object."[1] This definition does not address formatting objects that may be
direct descendants of the fo:flow, such as fo:block-container and fo:table,
that can specify ipd and bpd.

My intuition wants to restate the definition as follows: "the corresponding
dimension of the closest area ancestor that is either a reference area or an
area that was generated by a block-level formatting object." Can you either
confirm that this restatement is correct, or provide additional guidance for
the case I have described?

Thank you in advance.

Victor Mote
The FOray Project www.foray.org

Notes:
[1] The term "block-level formatting object" does not seem to be defined
explicitly, but I infer a definition of the term from its use as the heading
for Section 6.5.