RE: 1.1 WD suggestions on extension attributes/properties

Regarding your item 1, the current wording is
meant to imply that extension properties may
only change the behavior of an FO in ways that
are beyond what the spec says for a particular
FO.  Some examples of permitted extensions might
be like specifying a hyphenation dictionary or
hyphenation exception, specifying a whitespace
distribution algorithm, etc.

While the XSL FO SG was somewhat divided on
the issue, and we certainly do appreciate the
viewpoint you espouse, on the whole we have
decided to stick with the more restrictive
intension currently in the spec.  We feel that
allowing for extensions that substantially change
the already defined semantics for a given FO will
cause too many implementation issues.

We are planning to clarify the spec be including
something like:

 This means that an extension attribute must not
 change the processing of any FO in such a way that
 the constraints specified by XSL on that FO are
 no longer satisfied.

On your item 2, we agree.  We will make the
change you suggest.

Paul Grosso
for the XSL FO SG