RE: Deliberate breaking of indent inheritance

Jeremias,

Thank you for your interest in XSL-FO and your
detailed discussion below.

The XSL-FO SG has had many long discussions about
how inheritance works in XSL FO over the years.
We do realize that there are some consequences of
the current inheritance model that makes for some
results that may be unexpected for some users.  This
is somewhat unavoidable in that there are (at least)
two ways inheritance could work, and both ways are
useful in certain circumstances, and the current
spec picked one of those two ways.

However, the spec is not unclear in the matter of
inheritance (I think you agree on this).  The SG has
some indication that the various implementations are,
in fact, bringing themselves in line with the spec in
this regard.

The best way to improve the spec would be to add the
capability of requesting the "other" form of inheritance
for indents.  However, such an addition to the spec is
not within the scope of the XSL 1.1 work.

The SG would urge implementors to implement the spec
as written.  If it is felt it is important to provide
the "other" form of inheritance, it should be done via
a namespaced extension property.  Preferably, implementors
who desire such an extension can agree on its general
syntax, and perhaps a future version of XSL can incorporate
something like that.

paul

for the XSL FO SG