Wording for spaces produces interpretation differences among implementations

From: Jeremias Maerki <dev@jeremias-maerki.ch>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 11:12:33 +0200
To: xsl-editors@w3.org

Dear editors,

the Apache FOP team has recently stumbled over a problem concerning the
interpretation of the space properties. We've documented the problem and
our interpretation on our Wiki:
http://wiki.apache.org/xmlgraphics-fop/XslFoSpecificationUncertainties/SpaceTraits

A quick check reveals that there are differences of interpretation among
FO implementations. In case our interpretation is correct, I'd like to
ask the WG to consider a change in wording for the space properties
which eliminates the ambiguity.

Instead of:
Specifies the minimum, optimum, and maximum values for the space before any areas generated
by this formatting object and the conditionality and precedence of this space.

I'd write:
Specifies the minimum, optimum, and maximum values for the space before
each area generated by this formatting object and the conditionality and
precedence of this space.

Instead of:
Specifies the value of the space-specifier for the space before the
areas generated by this formatting object.

I'd write:
Specifies the value of the space-specifier for the space before each
area generated by this formatting object.

This is for space-before. The wording would need to be changed for the
other space properties accordingly.

Thank you.

Jeremias Maerki