Re: 5.3.2 Margin, Space, and Indent Properties

Liam Quin wrote:
> Peter,
>
> You wrote,
>     If (padding-corresponding + border-corresponding) > 0, we are left
>     with a negative margin-corresponding.
>
> That's correct.
>
> The Working Group reviewed your comment, and their response is that
> a negative margin-corresponding is not a problem, and the suggested
> change is therefore not needed.
>
> Please let us know if that doesn't answer yuor question!

Liam,

The response does not answer the question.  What I was commenting on
that the margin is _necessarily_ <= zero when neither the
margin-corresponding nor the start-indent is specified, because the
reference indent is eliminated from the equation.

I prefix my remarks by saying that I find this section very difficult to
grapple with, and am well aware that I may have overlooked important
related information or simply mis-interpreted the Recommendation.

Let me elaborate on the reasons for my earlier suggestion. It seems to
me that the discussion in 5.3.2 is incomplete.  There are
two implied matrices of possibilities; one for FOs which generate
reference-areas, and one for those which do not.

Reference-area generating FOs
         indent
         spec-
         ified
        +-----+----------------------------+----------------------------+
margin-|     |                            |                            |
corres |     |                            |                            |
spec-  |     |           Yes              |            No              |
ified  |     |                            |                            |
        +-----+----------------------------+----------------------------+
        |     | Margin property takes      | Not specifically discussed.|
        | Yes | precedence over relative   |                            |
        |     | property. Handled as       |                            |
        |     | below.                     |                            |
        +-----+----------------------------+----------------------------+
        |     | Explicitly discussed in    | Not specifically discussed.|
        | No  | 5.3.2. Indent computed as  |                            |
        |     | margin-c + padding-c +     |                            |
        |     | border-c-width             |                            |
        +-----+----------------------------+----------------------------+

Non-reference-area generating FOs
         indent
         spec-
         ified
        +-----+----------------------------+----------------------------+
margin-|     |                            |                            |
corres |     |                            |                            |
spec-  |     |           Yes              |            No              |
ified  |     |                            |                            |
        +-----+----------------------------+----------------------------+
        |     | Margin property takes      | Explicitly discussed in    |
        | Yes | precedence over relative   | 5.3.2. Margin computed as  |
        |     | property. Handled as       | indent - inherited-value(  |
        |     | below.                     |  indent) - padding-c -     |
        |     |                            |  border-c-width            |
        +-----+----------------------------+----------------------------+
        |     | Explicitly discussed in    | Implicitly discussed in    |
        | No  | 5.3.2. Indent computed as  | 5.3.2. Margin computed as  |
        |     | inherited-value(indent) +  | inherited-value(indent) -  |
        |     | margin-c + padding-c +     | inherited-value(indent) -  |
        |     | border-c-width             | padding-c - border-c-width |
        +-----+----------------------------+----------------------------+

Could the WG please verify this analysis and fill in the blanks for me?
  (See also my comment at the end of the message.)

My understanding of some aspects of this part of the recommendation is
illustrated in the accompanying PDF diagrams.

Figure 1 illustrates the following part of sction 5.3.2:

<quote>
If the corresponding absolute "margin" property is specified on the
formatting object and the formatting object does not generate a
reference area, the computed value of the margin and the computed values
of the corresponding "border-X-width" and "padding-X" properties are
used to calculate the computed value of the corresponding "Y-indent"
property. The formulae for "start-indent" and "end-indent" are:

start-indent = inherited_value_of(start-indent) + margin-corresponding +
padding-corresponding + border-corresponding-width
</quote>

In this case, the margin-corresponding is explicitly set to 0pt.

Figure 2 illustrates the next formula:

<quote>
If the corresponding absolute margin property is not explicitly
specified, or if the corresponding relative property is specified on the
formatting object and the absolute property only specified by the
expansion of a shorthand, the corresponding absolute margin property is
calculated according to the following formulae:

margin-corresponding = start-indent - inherited_value_of(start-indent) -
padding-corresponding - border-corresponding-width

margin-corresponding = end-indent - inherited_value_of(end-indent) -
padding-corresponding - border-corresponding-width

Note:

If the "start-indent" or "end-indent" properties are not specified their
inherited value is used in these formulae.
</quote>

In this case, the "Note" comes into play because neither the
margin-corresponding nor the start-indent is specified.  Therefore,
although the initial value of margin-left is 0pt, the _specified_ values
of border-corresponding-width and padding-corresponding are effectively
eliminated.  These values are eliminated no matter what they are
specified as, because they will always be neutralized by an equal and
opposite computed value of margin-corresponding.  This seems to me to be
bizarre.

Considering these cases in more detail for this response, I have come
the the conclusion that my original suggestion for addressing this
difficulty was misguided.

The formulae for non-reference-area generating FOs show that indent
accumulates on the descendants of reference-areas.  Where margin is
specified, the sum of margin, border and padding is added to the
inherited indent.

The question is which property, margin-correspondng or indent, is the
reference property when neither are specified.  The current wording (the
Note) implies that the margin-corresponding is calculated on the basis
of the inherited value of the indent, but using the formula obliterates
any possible increment to the indent, orthogonally to the expectations
aroused by all other cases.

Given that indent accumulates, it seems sensible, when neither property
is specified, to take the inherited indent as a base and calculate the
indent increment on the basis of the the computed margin, border and
padding properties.

I therefore propose the following changes to 5.3.2.

<original>
If
<added>a) either </added>
the corresponding absolute "margin" property is specified on the
formatting object
<added>
or neither the corresponding absolute "margin" property nor the
corresponding relative property is specified on the formatting object
</added>
and
<added>b) </added>
the formatting object does not generate a reference area, the computed
value of the margin and the computed values of the corresponding
"border-X-width" and "padding-X" properties are used to calculate the
computed value of the corresponding "Y-indent" property. The formulae
for "start-indent" and "end-indent" are:

start-indent = inherited_value_of(start-indent) + margin-corresponding +
padding-corresponding + border-corresponding-width

end-indent = inherited_value_of(end-indent) + margin-corresponding +
padding-corresponding + border-corresponding-width

If the
<added>
corresponding relative property is specified and the
</added>
corresponding absolute margin property is not explicitly specified, or
if the corresponding relative property is specified on the formatting
object and the absolute property only specified by the expansion of a
shorthand, the corresponding absolute margin property is calculated
according to the following formulae:

margin-corresponding = start-indent - inherited_value_of(start-indent) -
padding-corresponding - border-corresponding-width

margin-corresponding = end-indent - inherited_value_of(end-indent) -
padding-corresponding - border-corresponding-width

<deleted>
Note:

If the "start-indent" or "end-indent" properties are not specified their
inherited value is used in these formulae.
</deleted>

</original>

As a result of preparing this response, I have come to the conclusion
that the cases "not specifically discussed" in the matrix at the
beginning of this message are irrelevant.  Those cases apply to
reference-area-generating FOs, where the margin-corresponding has not
been specified.  It seems to me now that the indent must be "reset" on
such FOs, and reset according to the computed margin, border and padding
properties, so that the descendants of the FO have a "clean slate"
against which to express or calculate their accumulating indents.

If this is the case, some mention of it in 5.3.2 would greatly assist
the understanding of this section.  If it is not the case, this message
is an example of the confusion that can arise from the current wording.

Yours faithfully,
--
Peter B. West <http://cv.pbw.id.au/>
Folio <http://defoe.sourceforge.net/folio/> <http://folio.bkbits.net/>