Interpretation of relative keep strength

Good morning!

Please find below a post that I made to the XSL list this morning.

Attached is my test file showing that I think relative keep strength is not
being implemented properly by a number of processors (I have only tested
three, but no two of them do the same thing and none of them do what I
think they should do).

I look forward to any comment you have on my interpretations of relative
keep strength and of "always", as this is what I'm teaching my students
about XSL-FO.

I have a test XSL-FO instance and an illustration from my book in the
attached ZIP file.  I have a number of blocks, with nested keeps on various
sets of blocks.  My interpretation hinges on the last paragraph of 4.8
Keeps and Breaks.  The key phrase is "maximal satisfiable subset of
conditions of that strength must be satisfied".

BTW, my diagram shows a page-level context but to be succinct my test is
using a column-level context.

(1) Please look at the blocks labeled "B" and "C" ... there is enough room
to fit the five blocks of "C" in a context, but in my diagram I show the
first three blocks of "B" being kept together and fitting under "A" on the
page.  This is because that is the maximal subset of "B" of strength 2
being kept together before the blocks in "E" at higher strength 3 are being
kept together.

I feel it would be incorrect to keep the "C" blocks together because even
though the "C" blocks fit together in the context, they have a lesser keep
strength of "1" than the "B" blocks and strength "2" has already been broken.

The maximal subset of "B" would be, I believe, "B1, C1 and C2", all of
which fit in the same context as "A" without changing context, so the page
doesn't break until "B4" which is also "E1".  The "B" maximal subset is
more important to keep together than the "C" maximal subset, and that which
is kept together fits in the first context.

(2) On the next page, please look at the blocks labelled "Y".  The set of
blocks is longer than the context but the keep strength is "always".  Some
processors break this and flow the blocks with a maximal subset in the next
available context and remaining subsets in subsequent pages.

One implementation enforces "always" by flowing beyond the context (in this
test file beyond the limit of the region-body) and respects the overflow=
condition on the region-body as to whether or not this overflow is hidden
or visible.  As a result,

I think I prefer that one implementation to the others, but I don't know if
that is an acceptable interpretation according to the specification.

Could you please comment on the two interpretations above?

Thanks for any help you can be!

Crane Softwrights Ltd.          http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/m/
Male Breast Cancer Awareness  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/m/bc