Re: Overlapping page regions

At 2004-05-11 07:21 -0400, Glen Mazza wrote:
>This issue came up a while back on the FOP team [1] when we were trying to
>figure out which region(s) (xsl-region-body or the side regions) should
>take precedence in the case of overlap.
>
>If I may extend Ken's question into a suggestion for the 1.1 spec, if
>overlapping regions have a useful application (I'm unsure of any at the moment)

In my real-world case I am matching precise millimeter measurements for
table layouts to conform to the United Nations Layout Key.  By drawing the
table in the background as static content, I can have flexibility in the
amount of flowed information that fits in the body region and overflows to
the next page without the table cell box drawing below the body region
being impacted by the amount of the flow, or the required table cell
borders that must fill the body region regardless of the length of flow in
the body region.

I am successfully meeting these precise measurements by drawing the entire
table layout as a single static-content flow.

>, it would probably be beneficial to define which region takes
>precendence, or perhaps better, to extend the "precedence" property to
>xsl-region-body for the user to define the "winning" region.

A good concept ... I observe that engines to date that I have used place
the body region at a higher precedence than a perimeter region.

Thanks for the additional input to my question, Glen!

--
Public courses: Spring 2004 world tour of hands-on XSL instruction
Each week:   Monday-Wednesday: XSLT/XPath; Thursday-Friday: XSL-FO

Hong Kong May 17-21;    Bremen May 24-28;    Birmingham June 14-18

Crane Softwrights Ltd.          http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/m/
Male Breast Cancer Awareness  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/m/bc