Re: recto page with blank back

jmacneilly@comcast.net wrote on 12.04.2004 19:18:05:

> I come from the FOSI world (where this is possible) and military
> applications (where this is required) and need to be able to set up
> an XSL-FO application with the following condition output on an odd
> page: page 43/44 blank. I am ending each chapter/work package on an
> even page, which sometimes may be blank.
>
> Does the current spec support this? If so, can you tell me how. (I
> have not been able to set this up successfully, although I have
> blank pages working.) Or are there any plans for this feature? Is
> it/will it be supported by vendors? I found the thread below on the
> Yahoo XSL-FO group, and know this is a big requirement for Army and
> Navy tech manuals. Any information will be greatly appreciated.
> > But I hope the XSL committee is listening or you can take the time to
send
> > your requirement to the xsl-editors@w... address. I think you've made
> > justification for a "next-to-last" page-position test value (though
not
> > being an implementer I'm not sure what the ramifications are). Wait
> > even that won't help, because just with that you won't be able to say
> > "next-to-last when last-is-blank", so it is getting too bizarre to try
and
> > express declaratively.

Joy,

I think that:

1. The current spec doesn't support this - for the reasons outlined in
your quotes. One could think of a hack concerning inserting pseudo-blank
pages at the start of a chapter instead of at the end, but this gets
really ugly - if it works at all.

2. My suggestion for the XSL committee would be to add support for this
functionality by specifying two new functions: page-number and
page-number-citation with the same semantics as in the fo:page-number and
fo:page-number-citation elements. Also, we would need a next-to-last
option for the page-position property (in that case you could have a
special page-master for page-position="next-to-last" and
odd-or-even="odd").

I don't see the mentioned issue about '"next-to-last when last-is-blank"'
since "odd-or-even=odd" already does that for you in your case. One more
thing: a "value" property for fo:page-number so you can specify things
like "<fo:page-number ...other formatting options....
value="page-number()+1"/>

I just tried it in our XSL-formatter - it's pretty easy to add if the
"last" test value is already implemented (ok, make that 'reasonably
implemented'), and it's also fairly straightforward to specify formally.

XSL-Editors: how about that for XSL 1.1?

Hope this helps,

Arnd Beissner
--
Arnd Beißner