response to Comment on binding edge

From: Paul Grosso <pgrosso@arbortext.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2003 14:52:25 -0600
To: Victor Vishnyakov <tch_@mail.ru>
Cc: xsl-editors@w3.org

Thank you for your comment on XSL FO at

You asked why fo:page-number and fo:page-number-citation do not
list the color property among its set of "applicable" properties.

Our disposition of your comment is as follows:

Specifying, e.g., color="red" on a fo:page-number or fo:page-number-citation
is the way to specify color to be applied to the number.

Technically, however, this is achieved by inheriting the color
specification from the fo:page-number or fo:page-number-citation
to the fo:character objects, to which "color" applies", representing
the page-number.

In other words, it is appropriate to specify the color property on
fo:page-number or fo:page-number-citation, but the reason color is
not listed as *applying* to fo:page-number or fo:page-number-citation
is that the color property doesn't really *apply* to them, but rather
to their children fo:character objects (where "color" is listed as

The SG noticed that there were some inconsistencies in the spec in
regard to just what is listed as applying where with respect to other
FOs and properties, and we are taking a further look at the spec in
this regard.

Thank you for your continued interest in XSL FO.

Paul Grosso for the XSL FO Subgroup of the XSL WG