Re: Fwd: Re: [XSL-FO] Re: pagination

At 2003-07-22 10:37 -0500, Paul Grosso wrote:
>As you point out, the parity of the page number is tied
>to the parity of the page type itself.  This is what makes
>non-participating page numbering difficult and suspect.

I grant there are obstacles to designing an appropriate interface, but I
did not want the user requirement to go un-noted.

>Specifically, if a page has no page number, is it even
>or odd

As I mentioned to the original poster and to my students two weeks ago,
there are no left-page/right-page distinctions or page tally distinctions
in 1.0 that would be required, only page number parity distinctions.

>and what do you do with a page-number-citation to it?

I would think that a page that does not participate would have a choice of
being the same page number as the last page that did participate, or one
plus the page number of the last page that participated.

However, I don't always think of all of the nuances and would leave it to
others to propose ways of meeting real-world publishing requirements.  I'll
do my best to identify what my students see as requirements for future
revisions.

Thanks, Paul, for taking the time to comment!

.................... Ken

--
Upcoming hands-on courses: in-house corporate training available;
North America public:  XSL-FO Aug 4,2003; XSLT/XPath Aug 12, 2003

G. Ken Holman                mailto:gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com
Crane Softwrights Ltd.         http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/f/
Box 266, Kars, Ontario CANADA K0A-2E0   +1(613)489-0999 (F:-0995)
ISBN 0-13-065196-6                      Definitive XSLT and XPath
ISBN 0-13-140374-5                              Definitive XSL-FO
ISBN 1-894049-08-X  Practical Transformation Using XSLT and XPath
ISBN 1-894049-11-X              Practical Formatting Using XSL-FO
Member of the XML Guild of Practitioners:    http://XMLGuild.info