RE: select attribute for xsl:attribute?

We have considered from time to time adding a select attribute to
xsl:element and xsl:attribute in XSLT 2.0, the intention being that this
would create an element or attribute with the same type as the supplied
expression, rather than simply converting the value to a string. The current
situation is that we don't support this - the only way you can create a
typed value is by writing the string value and validating it, which ensures
that the type is consistent with the value. But we may provide such a
capability eventually, and we would want to reserve "select" to have this
meaning, rather than using it merely as a syntactic shorthand for the
existing XSLT 1.0 semantics.

Thanks for the comment.

Michael Kay