Tables Don't Respect Reference Orientation--why?

From: W. Eliot Kimber <eliot@isogen.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2002 10:43:30 -0600
To: xsl-editors@w3.org

I notice that the spec says that only writing mode determines the cell
and row progression order. I'm wondering why this is--I can't
immediately think of any reason that tables shouldn't be rotatable just
as any other reference area is--that is, the interaction of writing-mode
with reference-orientation seems no more complex in a table context than
in a multi-column page context, for example.

Have I missed some hidden complexity?

Thanks,

Eliot
--