How is Binding Edge Determined?

From: W. Eliot Kimber <eliot@isogen.com>
Date: Sun, 03 Nov 2002 16:22:05 -0600
To: xsl-editors@w3.org

I noticed that text-align defines "outside" and "inside" in terms of the
  "binding edge". However, I couldn't find any reference to "binding" or
"bound" or "bind" outside of the discussion of text-align. Thus my
question: how is the binding edge defined or determined? That is, I
might have a normally oriented page (before is top) that is top-bound or
I might, for some bizare reason, bind a left-to-right document on the right.

Have I missed something?

Thanks,

Eliot
--