Re: <shape> datatype for clip

From: Oleg Tkachenko <olegt@multiconn.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 01:59:18 +0200
To: Éric Bischoff <e.bischoff@noos.fr>
CC: Paul Grosso <pgrosso@arbortext.com>, xsl-editors@w3.org

Éric Bischoff wrote:

> Another one that keeps bugging me :

> The BNC production for a function call (section 5.9.4) is :
>
> 	[3]   FunctionCall   ::=
> 	FunctionName '(' ( Argument ( ',' Argument)*)? ')'
>
> as you can see, it does not mention any whitespace, neither directly nor
> indirectly through FunctionName and Argument productions.
>
> At the same time, in section 5.9.11, it is said that
>
> 	If the character following an NCName (possibly after intervening
> 	ExprWhitespace) is "(", then the token must be recognized as FunctionName.
>
> which explicitly says one could find white space. This is contradictory.

It reminds me xpath lexical structure definition, which explicitly
states that whitespace can be freely used between tokens, and xsl spec
actually defines the same:

"When processing an expression, white space (ExprWhitespace) may be
allowed before or after any expression token even though it is not
explicitly defined as such in the grammar. In some cases, white space is
necessary to make tokens in the grammar lexically distinct. Essentially,
white space should be treated as if it does not exist after tokenization
of the expression has occurred." [1]

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl/slice5.html#section-N7676-Lexical-Structure
--
Oleg Tkachenko