XSLT 2.0 suggestion

From: Jay Burgess <jburgess@delanotech.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 12:26:52 -0500 (EST)
To: xsl-editors@w3.org
I posted the following yesterday to the XSL list at Mulberry Technologies.
Jeni Tennison suggested in her reply that I follow-up to your email
address, in case you find the information useful.  Her comment was:

"There's been a recent suggestion on xsl-editors@w3.org that a similar
functionality to saxon:character-representation be offered in XSLT 2.0 -
you might want to post this example there to demonstrate another use case."

Here's my original post, with a few more details added:

I'm having trouble getting upper ASCII chars to output the way I need them
to.  (I've pared down my examples below to just the relevant info.)  The
XML data looks like the following :

     <param name="input1">

I output two versions of this data to two different files. The first is a
simple config file of URLs, created with the output method set to TEXT and
the following XSL:

     <xsl:value-of select="@name"/>
     <xsl:value-of select="string($VALUE)"/>

This results in the following in my first config file, which is exactly
what I want:

The second file is an SHTML page, created with the output method set to
"HTML" and the following XSL:

     <xsl:element name="param">
         <xsl:attribute name="name">
             <xsl:value-of select="@name"/>
         <xsl:attribute name="value">
             <xsl:value-of select="."/>

I get the following in the file:

     <param name="input1"

What I want, however, is:

    <param name="input1" value=".DTD">

Is there a way to achieve this? I need this functionality because I'm
building server-side include pages from an XML configuration file.  The
parameters for the <SERVLET> block (e.g. <param name="input1"
value=".DTD">) need to be able to contain both ASCII and "upper
ASCII" characters.  value="" is completely different data for the SSI
parser than value="&pound;".

-- Jay Burgess
    Digital Archaeology Corporation
    Delano Technology Analytics Division