Re: [xsl] Passing sort criteria as a paramter

From: Jonas Sicking <sicking@bigfoot.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 23:17:34 +0100
To: "Kay, Michael" <Michael.Kay@softwareag.com>, <xsl-editors@w3.org>
Michael Kay wrote:
> for example, how
> should namespace prefixes in the dynamic XPath expression be resolved?

Actually, this requirement already exists for several xslt-functions. For
example the key() function has to resolve the prefix in the keyname, and the
element-available function has to resolve the prefix of the element-name.
Both of these have to be done at runtime rather then parsetime, since the
argument don't necessarily have to be a literal.

Of couse we would get another level of this problem, since one could do for
example

evaluate("evaluate('$foo:bar')")

However i would think that whatever mechanism the outer evaluate has to
resolve prefixes, it should be able to forward to the inner.

I guess one could argue that you can lay a little harder requirements on
extensionfunctions then functions that are built-in in XPath 'nativly' (it
made the implementation of document() and prefix-resolving functions like
element-available() a little easier in TransforMiiX). So maybe the evaluate
function should be an XSLT extension instead of a native XPath function.
Most usecases seems to involve XSLT anyway.

/ Jonas Sicking