Re: Media types and simplified stylesheets

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 11:08:56 -0500 (EST)
To: davidc@nag.co.uk (David Carlisle)
Cc: xsl-editors@w3.org
> > Right.  XHTML doesn't support (except to ignore) non-XHTML namespaces
> > within its documents, so a compound media type is required in all cases.
>
> Hmm. In practice given a document with lots of namespaces I think trying
> to think of suitable mime types is a lost cause. text/xml or
> application/xml would seem to be the best that can be done here.

My current thinking is of a new generic type separate from */xml
(primarily because of XSLT, but other cases might be out there too),
perhaps even with a suffix convention.  Something like application/xmld,
where "xmld" means "Dispatchable XML".

> If you are really saying that if in a collection of xhtml files some
> just happen to have mathml or svg illustratons then I have to configure
> the server to send those documents with a different mime type then I
> don't think that will ever work in practice.

Well, that's already happening with XHTML+SMIL, XHTML+Voice, etc..  I
want to put an end to the potential explosion of compound media types.

What I'm saying is that there exists a certain rule set that when
followed, will ensure that multi-namespace documents can be consistently
processed when described with a single media type.  I'm also saying
that the XSLT simplified form doesn't follow these rules.

MB