RE: Clarification on xsl:attribute requested

From: Kay, Michael <Michael.Kay@softwareag.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2002 19:48:27 +0200
To: Rick Jelliffe <ricko@topologi.com>, "Kay, Michael" <Michael.Kay@softwareag.com>, xsl-editors@w3.org

> 1) So you are saying that there are XSLT 1.0 transformation
> possible that result in an invalid infoset?  So if I do
>   <xsl:attribute name="xxx:zzz" namespace="blahblah" />
> that an implementaiton may serialize the result without a namespace
> declaration?   (That is the thing I think is a bug, that
> should be clarified.)

XSLT 1.0 is clear that on serialization, the namespace declaration must be
added. It doesn't say that a namespace node must be added to the result tree
- but that doesn't appear to be the issue here. If you are saying that Xalan
is creating a serialized output document that is not namespace-conformant,
then you should take that up with Xalan, because it is clearly something
XSLT 1.0 does not allow.

Michael Kay