RE: the exact algorithm of REC-xslt-19991116

Yes, the specification in the XSLT 1.0 recommendation is both terse (it
doesn't try to be a tutorial) and informal (it doesn't try to be
mathematically precise). Both aspects can be frustrating, though in fact I
think there have been very few cases where the spec has actually been shown
to be ambiguous.

But we are trying in XSLT 2.0 both to make it more readable and to make it
more precise, though it's difficult to achieve both at once.

You will find expanded explanations of the processing model in a number of
XSLT books that are now available, for example my own XSLT Programmer's
Reference (Wrox Press). These don't say anything that can't be deduced from
a careful reading of the specification, but you might find the descriptions
more approachable.

Michael Kay