RE: XSLT 2.0: function-available() for stylesheet functions

From: Kay, Michael <Michael.Kay@softwareag.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 15:13:49 +0200
To: "Clarke, Agnes" <Agnes_Clarke@nl.compuware.com>, xsl-editors@w3.org
> As XSLT processors provide groups of functions under specific
> namespaces,
> they are in the unique position of being able to protect
> those namespaces from abuse. I agree with Karsten that processors should
> enforce namespaces known to them.

You need to distinguish interfaces from implementations.

The EXSLT "organization" has chosen to define a set of function interfaces,
and it's reasonable for a processor to reject functions in that namespace
that don't conform to these interfaces. But EXSLT allows anyone to produce
implementations of these functions, and there is no way an XSLT processor
can verify that the implementation conforms to the interface.

Michael Kay