Re: section 14.1

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kay, Michael" <Michael.Kay@softwareag.com>
> > One
> > concern that I
> > have that does still not seem to be addressed is the ability to
reference
> > nodes in the principal source document while processing a
> > node-set loaded using the document() function.
>
> The conventional (XSLT 1.0) solution to this is to declare a global
> variable:
>
> <xsl:variable name="root" select="/"/>
>
> which means that the principal source document can be referenced anywhere
as
> $root. This solution remains available in XSLT 2.0.
>
> We have also been looking at the possibility of providing a function
called
> input() which provides access to the "input collection" (which may default
> to being simply the principal source document, or may be a generalization
of
> this concept). The semantics of this still need a little work.

as mentioned in previous posts, some work has been done in this direction,
re the transquery specification ( www.transquery.org )

and I think it would extremely valuable to adopt something like this as
native xslt.

especially in promoting adoption with developers outside of XSLT, to provide
a simple input collection hook.

cheers, jim fuller