RE: section 14.1

From: Kay, Michael <Michael.Kay@softwareag.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2002 14:47:05 +0200
To: "Zbyszynski, Marc" <mzbyszynski@doubleclick.net>, "'xsl-editors@w3.org'" <xsl-editors@w3.org>
> One
> concern that I
> have that does still not seem to be addressed is the ability to reference
> nodes in the principal source document while processing a
> node-set loaded using the document() function.

The conventional (XSLT 1.0) solution to this is to declare a global
variable:

<xsl:variable name="root" select="/"/>

which means that the principal source document can be referenced anywhere as
$root. This solution remains available in XSLT 2.0.

We have also been looking at the possibility of providing a function called
input() which provides access to the "input collection" (which may default
to being simply the principal source document, or may be a generalization of
this concept). The semantics of this still need a little work.

> ps. it would also be great if there were some way to modify
> variable values
> in process (such as within a for-each loop)... But I am sure
> I am not the first person who has asked for that...

We're not intending to make this major change, which would turn the language
from a declarative language into a sequential, procedural one.

Thanks for the feedback,

Michael Kay
Software AG