4.4 Unprefixed Names in Expressions and Patterns

From: Diamond, Jason <Jason.Diamond@MKG.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 17:46:36 -0500 (EST)
To: "'xsl-editors@w3.org'" <xsl-editors@w3.org>
How about [xsl:]default-element-namespace and
[xsl:]default-attribute-namespace? The first makes it explicitly obvious
that the default namespace only applies to element axes. Adding the second
would make it easier to work with (revised) RDF and XLink where the
attributes are required to be qualified.

Either way, would it be more appropriate to use [xsl:]default-xpath-prefix,
[xsl:]default-element-prefix or [xsl:]default-attribute-prefix since we more
than likely would have to include a namespace declaration for the
namespace(s) in question anyways? It would be nice if we could avoid the
duplicated namespace name that's found in just about every XML Schema with a
targetNamespace attribute. Plus, this is already the approach a number of
other XSLT attributes take.

For completeness, what about [xsl:]default-function-namespace or
[xsl:]default-function-prefix?

Jason Diamond.