RE: [xsl] working with XSLFO: validation.

> From: Tobias Reif

> DaveP wrote:
> > Why? Do you want to validate the output of your transformation too?
>
> Easy:
> Scenario 1.
> I transform some XML via XSLT to XSLFO, then I want to convert it to
> PDF. During the last step the conversion tool (XEP, FOP)
> throws myriads
> of errors at me. Now I need to know if the input document, which is
> nothing than pure XSLFO, is valid; in order to take the appropriate
> steps of either altering my XSLT to generate valid XSLFO, or
> filing bugs
> on the converter.
>
> Scenario 2:
> I author pure XSLFO (which is inflexible, but flexibility is
> not always
> required). So I would like to load a schema/DTD/anything into my
> favourite XML IDE, and start. Without any validation tool it's time
> consuming to look up every single detail of the rules for the
> structure
> of FOs. Also, when I author some XML namespace that comes
> with a DTD, I
> get a choice of all valid possibilities at any given point in the
> document (drop down selections for attribute values etc)
>
> This is why I need XSLFO validation.

The latter point is quite clearly outside of the xsl-fo domain,
since they do not expect the fo namespace to be used in an editing
environment. Your use in a learning environment is outside the scope
of the rec surely?

Have you read the comments that Renderx make about the DTD they provide?
It quite specifically states that it is not a complete validation.
I use it, but with that caveat.

I'm still not sure I see the rationale for W3C to provide such a tool,
particularly for xsl-fo.

Regards DaveP.
********snip here*********

-

confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the
intended recipient you are hereby notified that you must not use,
disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on this email's content. If
immediately and then delete the email and any attachments from your
system.

RNIB has made strenuous efforts to ensure that emails and any
attachments generated by its staff are free from viruses. However, it
cannot accept any responsibility for any viruses which are
transmitted. We therefore recommend you scan all attachments.

represent those of RNIB.

RNIB Registered Charity Number: 226227

Website: http://www.rnib.org.uk